250 years ago, Babylon the Great – the world’s false religions taken as a conglomerate – was so strong she crowned and removed kings, made laws, punished wrongdoers, and collected taxes. (Revelation 18:1-4) Even in pre-constitution America, churches were given parishes by the state. They made laws, collect taxes and punished wrongdoers. Today, there are only ten countries remaining in Europe where the state gives money to the church, and every one of those countries gives taxpayers the right to opt out of supporting the churches. In most countries today churches have no power over politicians and little over the people. In the United States there is a law - rarely enforced - against churches influencing elections. There is more and more talk about removing the churches' tax-exempt status. If religions were outlawed tomorrow there would be very little protest from the general population.
120 years ago, no one would have found it noteworthy for someone or some group to say “Peace and Security!” Peace was the norm right up until World War broke out. When world events in the near future prompt a cry of ‘Peace and Security!’ it will be a significant departure from what we've become used to. (1 Thessalonians 5:3)
105 years ago, if anyone had said, “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep in death, all things are continuing exactly as they were from creation’s beginning,” (2 Peter 3:4) it would have been a reasonable question. Anyone who has said it since World War One, however, can be viewed as exactly what the prophecy calls them: ridiculous.
75 years ago, anyone who suggested that man had the potential to ruin the earth would have been locked up in an asylum. (Revelation 11:18) That view changed with the detonation of atomic bombs in the 1940s. When the world calmed down after WWII, people tried to go back to normal lives. But they were shocked out of their complacency in 1962 when Rachel Carson revealed in her book “Silent Spring” that, rather than “Better living through chemistry,” as the ads were saying, mankind’s chemicals were threatening to destroy the earth. Today no one questions the very real possibility of man ruining the earth.
65 years ago, The Watchtower Announcing Jehovah’s Kingdom reached a milestone 100 languages, giving it the ability to serve 85% of the world’s population. The other 15% represent languages spoken by fewer than 1000 people each, and in most cases they speak other, more common languages. The Watchtower is the most widely read magazine on Earth. It’s website, Jw.org, is the most widely translated website on earth, currently in over 900 languages, available to more than 95% of the earth’s population. When it reaches 944, it will be available to 98.8% of the earth’s population. There is virtually no person on earth whose only language is so unknown that he cannot hear the good news of the kingdom. (Matthew 24:14)
50 years ago began what has been called ‘The Golden Age of Terrorism.’ Jesus foretold “Fearful sights and from heaven great signs.” (Luke 21:11) According to Greek scholar A.T. Robertson, the word used here means:
“Terrors. This rare word phobêthra is used only here in the N.T. It is from phobeô, to frighten, and occurs only in the plural as here.”
While it’s true that people could have understood “terrors” in many ways over the centuries, what we now think of as “terrorism” began with plane hijackings in the 1960s and an attack by Palestinians on Israeli athletes at the 1972 Olympics. Combined with the ‘terrors’ of nuclear weapons mounted on missiles, satellite surveillance, snipers on rooftops firing down into crowds, stealth drones firing rockets, air-borne radiation from broken reactors and other pollution coming down “from the heavens,” we have seen unprecedented ‘fearful sights and great signs’ in our lifetime.
This generation: Jesus said quite explicitly “when you see all these things, know that he is near at the doors…Truly I say to you that this generation will BY NO MEANS pass away until all these things happen.” (Matthew 24:33, 34) Since the things discussed here have stretched over the past 120 years or so, there could be no one person who saw them all. But those anointed 'brothers of Christ' who did see - and understood that they were seeing - the Signs of the Times starting from World War One did actively share their observations, and discuss the significance of them, with other younger anointed brothers of their generation. The last possible anointed brothers of that generation are now in their fifties. BY NO MEANS will they all die before the end comes.
This site does NOT use Google Adsense. Please support the site by clicking on the ads listed. To read my other articles click here.
Watch for my new novel coming in December!
Follow me on Facebook.